Aryans, Hinduism, and a Buddhist Revolution

October 19th, 2010 · 12 Comments

Aryans, Hinduism, And a Buddhist Revolution

There is a short take on the histroy of Indian religion in WHEE/4th, with some bibilographical references to Danielou who can be helpful, when you are ready. Til then the whole history is confusing.

Tags: Fourth Edition · World History and The Eonic Effect

• 1 nemo // Oct 26, 2010 at 12:28 pm

This passage in the Axial Age chapter from WHEE is very brief, and merely intends to show the Axial Age correlation of Buddhism with the general eonic sequence, plus some materials on the history of Indian religion from Danielou, et al.

• 2 nemo // Oct 27, 2010 at 10:27 am

I think my essay is fine: the term ‘shaivism’ refers to something different from the later religion/movement by that name.

In general, you may be a victim of Hindu propaganda, beware.

• 3 nemo // Oct 27, 2010 at 10:57 am

Primordial Shaivism with its yoga/tantra (and related Jain stream) existed for millennia before Hinduism ever came into being

• 4 nemo // Oct 28, 2010 at 5:47 am

These histories are only as trustworthy as their already false assumptions about Hinduism.

What is your problem here?? Who are you and why is Hinduism such a fetish for you?

• 5 nemo // Oct 29, 2010 at 5:56 am

I would be delighted to read the book you indicate: that yoga and tantra show development during the Axial period is highly probable. Books cost money and take time to get a hold of.
    My concern here is that the foundation is false. Trying to fix the Indic tradition around Indo-European culture won’t work.

I think you should give it a rest. This is your fourth fake identity here trying obsessively to defend Indian caste and Aryan propaganda. What is your fixation here?/

Pause and reflect for a while, and perhaps you will see what the situation needs. The old Hinduism is going to destroy the Indian tradition, so, I think that a new way is needed.

• 6 nemo // Oct 29, 2010 at 6:40 am

The book you refer to doesn’t show any signs of original research: clearly it follows conventional assumptions to assemble some not very solid historical guesswork.
    There is every possibility that elements of yoga and tantra were appropriated and recast from the old tradition, which was suppressed.
    So your statements about new research or discoveries here is most probably baseless.

• 7 nemo // Oct 29, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Richard, give it a rest for a while. You come here under still another pseudonym, post some nice comments, then get vicious. What is your problem>
    The book you refer to I would be delighted to read, and will do so. But I merely wished to point out that books of a certain type are usually predictable. That tantra and yoga underwent change as they went into Indo-European contexts is a no-brainer, so don’t accuse me here.
    Frankly, most books on Hinduism make false assumptions, and everything else is wrong.
    I am merely pointing out that the unwritten tradition from long before is the real source here.
    The material in my book is pretty simple stuff, some facts on a time line, and my purpose was not to explain Indian religion, but to point to the fact that India shows an Axial Age correlation. The treatment is less than ten pages long, that’s it, but it does what it set out to do.
    To be so obsessed over the Aryan question is improper. The issue of caste in India is a tragedy,and one that could be repaired to let the real Indian tradition return. To be defending it as a Westerner is puzzling.

Anyway, you have made your point here and I have allowed you ample leeway. Give it a rest for a while.

thanks
    JL/nemo

• 8 The Gurdjieff Con » WHEE’s Indic history // Oct 29, 2010 at 12:59 pm

[…] http://darwiniana.com/2010/10/19/aryans-hinduism-and-a-buddhist-revolution-2/comment-page-1/#comment… […]

• 9 nemo // Oct 29, 2010 at 1:24 pm

I do try to get a hold of books referred to here. ‘Richard’ mentioned Shape of Ancient Thought last week, and, although I read it in part, four years ago, I wanted to look at it again, an expensive book which just arrived.

The book Richard refers to is another expensive item, which will have to wait a bit. Will get to it.

But most books on Indian religion are a disappointment, because their assumptions are false, as we have pointed out many times.

• 10 Darwiniana » Indian religion and history // Oct 29, 2010 at 3:28 pm

[…] http://darwiniana.com/2010/10/19/aryans-hinduism-and-a-buddhist-revolution-2/: The mini history of India in the Axial Age chapter of WHEE is not designed to please proponents of the usual mythology here. I think this history actually contains the clues needed to unravel the confusion of Indian religious history. […]

• 11 nemo // Oct 30, 2010 at 1:02 pm

I just got Shape of Ancient Thought: the appendix has a negative appraisal of OIT theory. So?

I will try to get the book next week….

• 12 nemo // Oct 31, 2010 at 6:14 am

The work of McEvilley, if anything, shows that the religious idea of India long predate the IE’s. The ideas of Daneilou suggest the connection between Shiva and Dionysus going back thousands of years prior to the Classical Age. That connection is not proven, but the point is that Dionysus and much else don’t seem to be part of the IE stream.